Spa Shock (Potassium Monopersulfate)
"Potassium monopersulfate is a strong, odorless, oxygen-based oxidizer, ideal for pool and spa oxidation (shocking). It works extremely well with chlorine, bromine and most alternative sanitizers." -Ed Lightcap, DuPont Technical Services
Shock treatment. Potassium monopersulfate (Spa Shock) should be added to spa water after every use to immediately oxidize and eliminate organic contaminants introduced by bathers. Public spas used every day may need to oxidize daily with potassium monopersulfate. Regular oxidation with potassium monopersulfate promotes maximum sanitizer efficiency. Since it contains no chlorine, it will not produce combined chlorine or generate chloramine odors.
Bromide activation. Potassium monopersulfate is widely used with sodium bromide as one part of a two-product disinfection system. In this system, the bromide ion itself has no disinfecting capability. Potassium monopersulfate is added to oxidize, or activate, bromide ion to bromine which rapidly forms the active sanitizer - hypobromous acid - in spa water. Upon reaction with bacteria and other spa contaminants, hypobromous acid is reduced back to bromide ion, ready to be activated again by the next dose of potassium monopersulfate.
Potassium monopersulfate begins to produce bromine immediately and continues to do so for several hours, providing sufficient time for oxidation of bather waste and other organic contamination. When used with bromine products, such as sodium bromide or bromine tablets (BCDMH), potassium monopersulfate functions both as an activator of bromide ions and as an oxidizer of organic waste.